Book Review: How to Hang A Witch By Adriana Mather

Buy Here


Okay, so this book is actually fascinating to me for two reasons: one, the author, Adriana Mather, is an actual descendent of Cotton Mather – Let that sink in for a bit.
 If you don’t know who he is, let me explain why this is so significant. Cotton Mather was a minister that started the witch hunts and led to many innocent people’s death during the Salem Witch Trials. And reason two why this is amazing to me is pretty simple. SHE’S MY FAVORITE AUTHOR!!!
The Salem Witch Trials is one of my favorite things to learn about, second only to the Titanic, and SPOILER: her second book is based on the Titanic, which I will also be reviewing in another post. Honestly, it feels like she’s writing to me lol, she is such a good writer, personally speaking, I think she can’t disappoint as an author.
 
~RECOMMENDATIONS~
I recommend this book to:
- Those that like the paranormal theme in books
- Those that ove historical fiction
- People that like a good young adult series (2 books so far)
- Adults
- Teens
- Fans of Twilight
 
~THOUGHTS~
LOVED THE BOOK!!!
Without getting into too much detail before you’ve read the book, and seriously, you need to read it, let me just say that I was on a roller coaster ride of emotions throughout the E N T I R E  book. So, Samantha Mather is a seventeen year old girl who dealt with so much for being so young. She had to move to Salem, Massachusetts with her step mother into her late grandmother’s house, whom she had never met. Her father, THE  most important person in her life, fell ill and had been in a coma for some time; Ever since she  was young, people thought that she was a disaster magnet and people got hurt around her. Because of this, she was left by the friends that she did have, and she grew up to be a very lonely person.
 
When she and her step mother move to Salem, they move into her late grandmother’s house, this big beautiful old house that she can’t wait to explore. She meets her neighbors who quickly turn into very important people in her life, but when she first meets them, she has trouble trusting them and their intentions. They’re so nice and she’s just not used to true kindness. So anyways, she soon becomes good friends with her neighbor Jaxon and his mother. Which is a good thing because nobody at school really trusts her; After all… she’s a Mather. At school, she has to deal with this group called “the descendants.” They are actual descendants of witches that were killed by her ancestor Cotton Mather, so it comes to no surprise that they don’t care for her at all. Soon, however, the Descendants and Samantha realize that their lives are still intertwined. There is a curse that is placed on them, when all of the descendants, including Samantha, are together at the same time in Salem, people die... specifically people with descendant blood, including the Mathers.  It’s up to all of them to figure out how to break the curse before Samantha’s father passes away, or one of the other’s lose a loved one.

So there’s one person I HAVE to mention, Elijah (one of my book boyfriends).
 
 
Samantha is living at her grandmother’s house, and she finds a secret passage that leads to a study where she finds a journal and books that talk about the curse and the Salem Witch Trials. She also finds hidden compartments in her bedroom where she finds letters that were written long ago by a young girl. When she goes through her things, it triggers a very annoyed ghost to show himself. Personally, I would be terrified lol. Can you imagine just seeing someone in your home? Jesus. I mean I guess it helps that he’s insanely handsome… too bad nobody else can see him. At first, Elijah and Samantha couldn't stand each other, but they soon grow close as they worked together to break the curse… did I mention that she can touch him? Who wouldn’t want a sweet and handsome ghost in their home?
 

I don’t want to give a lot away so I think I’ll stop here, but it is a great read, honestly. Ten out of Ten for me lol. Let me know what you guys think about this book! Did you like it? Did it check all your boxes in your book requirements when you start a series?

 
~Favorite Quotes~
 
“Kindly do not interrupt me,” he says with anything but kindness.“Kindly I will smack your perfect face.” (This is Gold hahaha)

“I’m right here with you. And I will be for as long as you need me. You are not alone.” Pg. 239

“You reminded me of that beauty again. Not in one minute of my death have I wished for my life back, until I met you.” Pg. 264

“Sorry!” I say quickly. “I don’t usually attack people with my lip gloss.”

~BOOK SYNOPSIS~
Salem, Massachusetts, is the site of the infamous Witch trials and the new home of sixteen- year- old Samantha Mather. Recently transplanted from New York City, Sam is not exactly welcomed with open arms. She is a descendant of Cotton Mather, one of the men responsible for those Trials- and almost immediately, she becomes the enemy of a group of girls who call themselves The Descendants. And guess who their ancestors were?
As if dealing with that wasn’t enough, Sam finds herself face to face with a real, live (well, technically dead) ghost. A handsome, angry ghost who wants Sam to stop touching his stuff.
Soon Sam discovers she is at the center of a centuries- old curse affecting everyone with ties to the Trials. Sam must come to terms with the ghost and work with the Descendants to stop a deadly cycle that has been going on since the first alleged with was hanged. If any town should have learned its lesson, it’s Salem. But history may be about to repeat itself.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25 Questions Tag: Facts About Me!

Review: Hunted by Meagan Spooner

Top 10 Best Bookish Gifts